7:36 a.m. DEC. 11: After a day of interviews with five candidates for city manager Tuesday, the San Marcos City Council has selected a finalist with whom the city will negotiate a contract, Mayor Daniel Guerrero said.
After an employment contract is reached, the council will vote in public session and announce their choice.
10:40 a.m. DEC. 10: Five finalists for San Marcos city manager are cycling through a gauntlet of interviews at City Hall today. The council could make its choice for the city’s top administrative position before day’s end.
The finalists are Karen Daly of Sugar Land, James Earp of Kyle, Charles Ewings of Longview, Tansy Hayward of Tacoma, Wash., and Jared Miller of North Richland Hills.
Following a public reception Monday evening, attended by about 100 people, the candidates on Tuesday are rotating through hour-long interviews with the city council and five panels of key city administrators.
The council is scheduled to begin deliberations at 3:45 p.m. in executive session. Mayor Daniel Guerrero has previously said that the council members could settle on a top choice today.
A formal announcement may not be forthcoming, however, until after the city manager accepts the position and employment terms. It was not immediately clear how long an employment contract negotiation is expected to take.
Here is a list of the panels and staff members vetting candidates:
- Public Safety: Police Chief Howard Williams and Fire Chief Les Stephens.
- Economic Development: City Manager Jim Nuse and Greater San Marcos Partnership vice president Mike Kamerlander.
- Community Services and Public Services: Community Services executive director Rodney Cobb and Public Services executive director Tom Taggart.
- Planning and Engineering: Planning and Development Services director Matthew Lewis and Engineering and Capital Improvement director Laurie Moyer.
- Finance, Human Resources and Information Technology: Finance assistant director Heather Hurlbert; Human Resources director Linda Spacek; and Information Technology director Mike Sturm.