The public is invited meet five finalists for City Manager of San Marcos from 6-8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 9 at the Embassy Suites and City Conference Center, 1001 E. McCarty Lane.
The finalists are Karen Daly of Sugar Land, James Earp of Kyle, Charles Ewings of Longview, Tansy Hayward of Tacoma, WA, and Jared Miller of North Richland Hills.
The San Marcos City Council is considering the top candidates to fill the post that will be vacated when City Manager Jim Nuse steps down Jan. 2, 2014. The Council will interview the finalists in executive session on Tuesday, Dec. 10.
Strategic Government Resources, an executive search firm from Keller, Texas, specializing in government recruitment, employee development, and best practices and innovation, recruited 54 applicants from across Texas and the U.S. The City Council has narrowed the field to the five finalists.
The search process has included a stakeholder meeting in August for community organizations, individual meetings with community leaders, City Council and City staff, and an online community survey to gauge the qualities sought in a new City Manager. The City Council began its review of applicants in October and narrowed the field to the five finalists in November.
Introducing the candidates:
- Karen Daly has 28 years of local government experience and is currently Assistant City Manager for Sugar Land, Texas. She has also served as City Manager for Greenville, Texas, and Assistant City Manager for Longview, Texas. In addition, Daly has worked for the City of Arlington, Texas, and for the North Central Texas Council of Governments. Daly holds a Master of Urban Affairs degree and a Master of Social Work Administration degree from the University of Texas at Arlington.
- James Earp has worked for the City of Kyle, Texas, since 2006 and serves as Assistant City Manager. Previous positions held in the City of Kyle include Interim City Manager, Interim Administrative Police Chief, Planning Director, Human Resources Director, and Public Works Director. Earp has nine years of experience in local government and has also worked for the City of Ennis, Texas, and the City of Burleson, Texas. Earp has a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Texas at Arlington.
- Charles Ewings has 17 years of local government experience and has served as Assistant City Manager for Longview, Texas, since 2007. He previously served as Interim City Manager and Director of Development Services for the City of Longview. He has also worked for the East Texas Council of Governments and the cities of Denton and Southlake, Texas. Ewings has a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Texas at Arlington.
- Tansy Hayward has 11 years of local government experience and is currently Assistant City Manager/ Neighborhood and Community Services Director for Tacoma, Wash. She has also held the positions of Acting Deputy City Manager, Assistant City Manager, and Assistant to the City Manager for Tacoma. In addition, she previously worked for the City of Des Moines, Iowa. Hayward holds a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Kansas.
- Jared Miller has 14 years of local government experience and has been Assistant City Manager for North Richland Hills, Texas, since 2007. He has also served as City Manager for Snyder, Texas, and Crosbyton, Texas. In addition, Miller has worked for the South Plains Association of Governments and for the city of Lubbock. Miller has a Master of Public Administration degree from Texas Tech University.
Current San Marcos City Manager Jim Nuse will leave Jan 2, 2014 after leading the San Marcos team since December of 2010. He previously served as Round Rock’s City Manager for eight years and Public Works Director for 19 years.