San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
Email Email | Print Print --

August 21st, 2013
Bartee Haile: No respect for the batting champion from Bangs

This Week in Texas History:
A column

Debs Garms went two for four on Aug. 21, 1940 in the Pittsburgh Pirates’ win over the Boston Bees and raised his league-leading batting average to a lofty .378.

Garms was born in 1907 in the West Texas hamlet of Bangs a few miles west of Brownwood and named for his parents’ socialist hero Eugene Debs.  Like most boys his age, he grew up playing baseball on the dusty sandlots in town but did not take a serious interest in the sport until an older sister married a major-league pitcher.

Garms was a high-school senior, when he drove her to Philadelphia to be with her husband.  He saw his first major-league game before heading back to Texas, but the long and unapproved absence postponed his graduation for a full year.

Out of high school at last, Garms enrolled at Howard Payne, the college within commuting distance of home.  His sprinter’s speed made him a star on the track team, but his heart was in baseball.  A scout for the St. Louis Browns watched him burn up the base paths on two triples and signed him right then and there to a minor-league contract.

Garms enjoyed a promising start with the Abilene Aces of the West Texas League. He finished the 1928 season with a strong batting average of .313 but struggled at shortstop committing more than his fair share of errors.

Garms steadily progressed through the Browns’ farm system advancing in 1931 to their Texas League affiliate, the Wichita Falls Spudders.  It took him a season to make the adjustment, which included a move from third base to center field, but in the second he came into his own as a high-average hitter.


Debs Garms

Garms was batting .344 in August 1932, when the long-awaited call came from St. Louis.  No sooner did he try on the uniform than the Browns put him in center field.

It did not matter to the boy from Bangs that he was playing for the weakest franchise in baseball, a club many considered a joke.  He was in the big leagues and pulling down an annual salary of $5,000 during the Great Depression.

Garms finished the abbreviated season with a respectable .284 average and sky high hopes for 1933.  But the Browns sank like a rock the next year, and in July the owner brought in Rogers Hornsby to whip the bottom feeders into shape.

Of all the managers he played for, Garms liked the fellow Texan the least.  “He was egotistical, and he thought everyone should be a great hitter because he was.”

It turned out that Hornsby and Garms saw very little of each other that season.Two weeks after “The Rajah” took over, Garms landed wrong and tore up his knee.  The cartilage and tendon damage benched him for the rest of the schedule.

Garms recovered from the injury to hit .293 in 1934.  Hornsby, however, was critical of his many singles and under-par performance in the outfield.  When Opening Day rolled around the following April, he made up his mind to exile Garms to San Antonio.

The only good thing about the demotion was that Garms was back in the Lone Star State.  He was a key contributor for the Missions in 1935 with a .294 average and the most triples in the Texas League and was doing even better in 1936, when the Boston Bees bought his contract.

Nineteen thirty-seven should have been the year Garms showed what he was made of, but instead he suffered through a season-long slump.   A .259 average put his job in jeopardy, and he knew it.

When Casey Stengel was hired in the off-season as the Bees’ new skipper, Garms packed his bags.  Not only did he survive the ensuing housecleaning, he benefited immensely from Stengel’s priceless batting tips.

The proof was in the 1938 pudding.  Garms’ .315 was seventh best in the National League and impressed enough sportswriters for him to receive a number of votes for Most Valuable Player.

A September slump, likely due to fatigue, dropped Garms two points below .300 in 1939.  But about the time he began believing he had a permanent home in Boston, the cash-strapped Bees sold him, over Stengel’s objections, to the Pirates.

garmscardNineteen forty did not start out as Garms’ dream season.  He hurt his bum knee in early May and did not return on a full-time basis until Jul. 20.  But on his first day back in the lineup, he drove in five runs with four hits to beat the team that dumped him, the Bees.

Garms stayed on his hot streak ending July at .345 and August at .369.  With the virtual unknown 42 points ahead of his nearest competitor in the race for the NL batting crown, the baseball world finally sat up and took notice.

Many know-it-alls did not like what they saw and invoked the 400 at-bats “rule.”  In other words, to qualify for the hitting title, Garms had to go to the plate 400 times.

Not so, the president of the National League pointed out.  All Garms had to do was appear in 100 games and he did that four days before the end of the season.

That’s why there is no asterisk next to Debs Garms’ name on the list of National League batting champions.  He won it fair and square in 1940 with an average of .355.

Visit Bartee’s new web site every day to find out what happened in Texas history on that date.  And while you’re there, do a little shopping at the General Store.

San Marcos Mercury columnist BARTEE HAILE welcomes your comments, questions and suggestions at P.O. Box 152, Friendswood, Texas 77549 or by email here.

Email Email | Print Print


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *