All San Marcos residents are invited to a free event tonight at Embassy Suites where they may enjoy refreshments, offer input about city services and witness speeches by San Marcos council members and the mayor.
The event will also feature a performance by Baile Folklorico, which is composed of Bowie Elementary School students grades 1-5 who perform Mexican folkloric dances and contemporary pieces.
The event, the seventh annual State of the City, will commence with a level of service open house at 5:30 p.m. City staff are asking residents to appraise service levels in the areas of parks and recreation, police and fire protection, library, streets and roads, and future water supply. Each city department will illustrate the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service for their area and outlines the costs associated with each level.
Residents will be able to fill out a brief paper or computer survey to express their opinions and see the tax impact of their choices. Corresponding property tax increases or decreases will be shown based on the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service chosen.
At 7 p.m., Mayor Daniel Guerrero and the city council will report to residents about the state of the city. Each council member presentation will be approximately five minutes and relate to one of the city’s strategic goals, which include sound finances, customer service, big picture infrastructure, protecting the San Marcos River, maintaining community wellness, and strengthening the middle class. The mayor’s address will cover more ground.
Further level of service open houses are scheduled for the following days:
• Jan. 30: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dunbar Center, 801 MLK Drive Sectors 1 & 8: Dunbar, Heritage, Westover, Downtown, Texas State University.
• Feb. 2: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Activity Center, 501 E Hopkins Street. Sector 9: Willow Creek.
• Feb. 6: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church, 130 W Holland St. Sector 2: Castle Forest, Franklin Square, Oak Heights, Southwest Hills.
• Feb. 9: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Travis Elementary Cafeteria, 1437 Post Rd. Sector 7: Blanco Vista, Millview, Uhland Rd., Post Rd, Thorpe Lane.
• Feb. 13: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church 130 W Holland St. Sector 3: Alamo, Highland, Holland Hills, Hughson Hts., Sierra Circle, Tanglewood, N. LBJ. N. Craddock.