San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas

October 24th, 2010
Club 21, built in 1893, burns to the ground


The historic dancehall Club 21 burned to the ground early Sunday morning, after the managers of the facility had closed down for the night. Sheriff’s Office investigators found a vehicle in the kitchen area, with another vehicle left in the vicinity of the burned out shell. The owners of the vehicles left the scene and are being sought by authorities.

Club 21 was renowned locally as a place where families could dance, bring their young children. Built in the 1893, the dance hall was added in the teens of the 1900s, and has been in continual operation since then.

William and Barbara Ilse of Uhland own Club 21.

The Hays Free Press broke this story. It is reprinted here through a news partnership between the Free Press and the Mercury. See the Oct. 27 edition of the Free Press for more coverage, including photographs.

Email Email | Print Print


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *