PHOTO by BRAD ROLLINS
A resident shot three men who he said invaded his home with weapons early Friday in this Chestnut Street rental.
UPDATED 4:42 p.m. FRIDAY, SEPT. 3 | San Marcos police do not anticipate filing criminal charges against a resident who shot three Luling teenagers, killing two, early Friday morning after they broke into his home in a west San Marcos neighborhood in an attempted home invasion. Also, authorities identified the man arrested at the scene as Frank Castro, 17, of Luling. See the story here.
UPDATED 1:18 p.m. FRIDAY, SEPT. 3 | One resident of the home was a Texas State University student and two others are not students, city of San Marcos spokesperson Melissa Millecam said. Police Chief Howard E. Williams said earlier that he thought they were all three students.
UPDATED 11:48 a.m. FRIDAY, SEPT 3 |
by BRAD ROLLINS
Investigators are still piecing together the chronology of a botched home invasion robbery early this morning that left two of the teenaged assailants dead of gunfire and one seriously injured by a resident of the Chestnut Street house, Police Chief Howard E. Williams said.
A fourth suspect, a 17-year-old man from Luling, was arrested later when he returned to the home looking for his accomplices, Williams said. Detectives were questioning the man when Williams addressed a press conference at about 10 a.m. He will be charged with aggravated robbery, Williams said.
Three residents of the targeted home, including the shooter, were questioned at police head quarters and released. Williams gave no indication that charges against the shooter are imminent but he did not rule it out.
“The whole matter is open to investigation. I don’t want to speculate on how the investigation is going to end,” Williams said, adding later: “I clearly would never say don’t defend yourself. I would not say that.”
Four suspects forcibly entered the home at about 2 am. Tuesday, Williams said. One was armed with a handgun and two others had pellet guns that Williams described as heavily resembling higher calibre weapons.
When he heard a commotion in the house, a resident of the home peaked out of his bedroom and, confronted with an armed invader, shot three of the men, Williams said. The fourth, whose name has not yet been released, escaped out the front door.
One of the shot men, who police have had difficulty identifying but believe is 16 years old, died at the scene. A second sixteen-year-old was taken to Central Texas Medical Center where he died shortly thereafter.
The third man, also 16 years old, underwent surgery at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin this morning for what authorities characterize as serious but not life threatening injuries.
Jason Locascio, a Texas State communication design junior who lives next door, described residents of the targeted home as having large gun and guitar collections and other property that might have been attractive to robbers.
The neighborhood on Texas State University’s northern edge off North Lyndon B. Johnson Drive is populated heavily with college students.
He said, “There is a lot of traffic at these houses. I’m guessing they might have seen the Audi and the other cars and figured it was a good target.”
The state’s so-called Castle Doctrine, passed by the Legislature and signed by the governor in 2007, provides criminal immunity to people who lawfully use deadly force under most circumstances to protect themselves in their homes or vehicles. The law does not apply however if the person provoked the attacker or was engaged in criminal activity at the time of the attack.
The law was sponsored by State Sen. Jeff Wentworth, a San Antonio Republican whose district includes San Marcos.
POSTED 7:29 a.m. FRIDAY, SEPT. 3 | Two Luling teenagers are dead and a third seriously wounded after they were shot by a resident in an attempted home invasion early Friday in San Marcos.
The shootings happened shortly before 2 a.m. on Chestnut Street on the west side of San Marcos
One 16-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene and a second 16-year old died at Central Texas Medical Center. A third teen, also 16, was transported to Brackenridge Hospital in Austin with serious wounds.
Police are withholding the identities of the teenagers as the investigation continues. A fourth teen, who was uninjured, has been arrested in connection with the home invasion with charges pending.
According to Police Chief Howard Williams, police responded to a call of a home invasion with shots fired at 1:52 a.m. Friday. When police arrived, they found several people shot by a resident of the home.
Three residents were in the home at the time of the incident and were not injured. Police did not release the names of the residents. The investigation is continuing.
— FROM THE CITY OF SAN MARCOS/MELISSA MILLECAMEmail | Print