San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
Email Email | Print Print --

July 20th, 2009
City to hold hazardous waste, medication collection


The City of San Marcos will sponsor a drive-through household hazardous water collection on July 25, along with Operation Medicine Cabinet, from 8 a.m, to noon at the City Traffic Yard.

Residents are asked to transport dangerous chemicals in their trunks, and keep products in their original containers. If a container is broken, the products should be placed in a container of the same materials. Do not combine chemicals.

The collection is a drive-through event, so citizens will be asked to remain in their vehicles. San Marcos Public Services, along with San Marcos Fire Rescue and the San Marcos Police Department, will assist in the collection.

Along with the water collection, Operation Medicine Cabinet will accept expired or no longer used prescription medications, as well as over the counter drugs. Home Instead Senior Care and Restorative Health Care will assist in that collection.

Proper disposal of expired medication helps prevent its accidental use and protects the environment. Local authorities say such medications should never be flushed down a toilet or drain.

Accepted materials include:

  • Outdated prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
  • Cleaning products ( drain cleaners, concentrates, degreasers, oven cleaners, solvents, polishes, pool chemicals, and household batteries).
  • Lighting Products: fluorescent lights and energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
  • Paint: (latex and oil based paints, spray paints, thinners, strippers, preservatives, brush cleaners, etc.).
  • Gardening products (pesticides, sprays, dusts, herbicides (weed killers) rat poisons, and insecticides).
  • Automotive products: (antifreeze, batteries, motor oil, oil filters, brake fluids, and transmission fluids).
  • Cell phones and rechargeable batteries.

The city cannot accept tires, electronic waste, containers larger than five gallons, medical wastes, empty containers, compressed gas cylinders or business generated waste.

For more information, contact public services at (512) 393-8026. The city’s traffic yard is located at City Hall, 630 E. Hopkins.

Email Email | Print Print


0 thoughts on “City to hold hazardous waste, medication collection

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.