San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas

March 3rd, 2009
San Marcos seeks vets for veterans committee


If you have served in the military, or are a spouse of a service member, then the City of San Marcos wants you to serve on its Veterans Affairs Committee.

Established by ordinance on Feb. 17, the committee will advise the city about legislation and policies that affect veterans, serve as a network for information on veteran related activities, make recommendations regarding improvements to the Hays County Veterans Memorial and ensure that traditions honoring veterans are perpetuated.

“The Veterans Affairs Committee will serve in an advisory capacity to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board,” said San Marcos Mayor Susan Narvaiz. “Our goal is to enlist the help of military veterans or their spouses to keep us informed about issues and activities of importance to those who have served our nation and help us honor our veterans.”

Veterans and their spouses who live in San Marcos or Hays County are eligible to serve on the committee. The city council will work to appoint veterans who represent various war eras and organizations. Committee members will serve three-year terms, which will be initially staggered and drawn by lots after the first committee is appointed.

Interested and qualified individuals can apply for the committee through the City Clerk’s office, located at City Hall, 630 E. Hopkins Street, San Marcos TX, 78666, or call (512) 393-8090. Board volunteer forms are also available on the city website.

Email Email | Print Print


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.