From the city of San Marcos
The city of San Marcos will sponsor a drive-through Household Hazardous Waste Collection on Sunday, Jan. 18 from 8 a.m. to noon at the city traffic yard located on Hopkins Street across from the big HEB.
Residents of San Marcos, Kyle and Hays County, sponsors of the collection, are invited to drop off outdated toxic chemicals during the collection. Please bring proof of residency (driver’s license or utility bill).
“We want to encourage our citizens to dispose of toxic materials properly,” Public Services Program coordinator Jo Secrest said in a written statement.
The collection is a drive-through event and residents won’t have to leave their vehicles.
Residents are asked to transport chemicals in the trunk and keep products in their original containers.
If a container is broken, the contents should be placed in a container of the same material. Do not combine chemicals.
Materials that will be accepted include:
- Cleaning products: drain cleaners, concentrates, degreasers, oven cleaners, solvents, polishes, pool chemicals, and household batteries.
- Paint products: latex and oil based paints, spray paints, thinners, strippers, preservatives, brush cleaners, etc.
- Gardening products: pesticides, sprays, dusts, herbicides (weed killers) rat poisons, and insecticides.
- Automotive products: antifreeze, batteries, motor oil, oil filters, brake fluids, and transmission fluids.
- Cell phones and rechargeable batteries.
The collection cannot accept tires, electronic waste (computer products, televisions, etc.) containers larger than five gallons, medical wastes, empty containers, compressed gas cylinders or wastes generated by businesses.
The event will be held rain or shine. For more information, call the Public Services Department at 512-393-8036.