The Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) has been promoting excellence in music education since 1920, and in June 2008 the TMEA recognized nine San Marcos High School choir students. The nine honorees were: Katy Whitbeck, Gabe De Leon, Annie Werner, Taelor Heyen, Geoffrey Hollis, Elizabeth Mason, Josh Contreras, Layne Cape, and Phillip Burleigh.
According to SMHS Choral Director Helen Miers, the Texas Music Scholar Award designates students in high school music programs who exemplify attributes of meritorious performance in the areas of scholarship, musicianship, and citizenship. Designation is attained by TMEA active member recommendation of students in grades 9-12 what have met the following criteria during the current school year: * is a viable member of the school’s parent musical organization for the entire school year;
* maintains an overall “A” average as defined by the local school district for the entire school year
* maintains academic eligibility for the entire school year
* participates in all scheduled events of the parent organization
* attends, as an audience member, two director-approved concert events of high school, collegiate or professional level during a school year
* has auditioned, been selected, and participated as required in a TMEA or Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) organization, i.e. band, orchestra, or choir
* performs a UIL Prescribed Music List Class 1 solo for a competition or public performance
* consistently exhibits behavior which brings honor to the parent organization, school, and community.
By IRIS CAMPBELL
Public Information Officer – San Marcos CISD
Photo by: Kathy Williamson