San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
728x90-robotics
Email Email | Print Print --

FROM STAFF REPORTS

A fatal collision between a pickup truck and a tractor-trailer snarled traffic on southbound Interstate 35 early Friday morning. A second wreck occurred nearby in traffic backed up from the first wreck.

At 2:43 a.m. Friday, police, firefighters and emergency medical services were dispatched to a traffic accident on the southbound interstate in northern San Marcos, between the 208 and 209 mile markers.

An initial investigation determined that a 2008 Chevrolet pickup was traveling southbound when — for unknown reasons — struck the rear of a southbound 18-wheeler.

The pickup truck’s driver, Jesus Lopez Remigio, 51, of Jacksonville, was taken to by ambulance to Central Texas Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. The driver of the 18-wheeler was no injured.

At about 6:30 a.m., a 1996 Toyota passenger car collided with a 2017 Peterbilt tractor-trailer stopped in traffic backed up from the earlier wreck near the 210 mile marker.

Police said the passenger car’s driver, who suffered minor injuries, said he had been distracted by his phone before striking the Peterbilt at about 70 mph. A San Marcos city ordinance prohibits drivers from using cell phones and other handheld devices while a vehicle is in motion.

Email Email | Print Print

--

2 thoughts on “Interstate 35 reopens after early morning fatal wreck in San Marcos

  1. Sounds like the second guy was lucky to escape with minor injuries after hitting a stopped semi truck at 70 mph. wow!

  2. Vehicle drivers using cell phones often hurt people. Texting and phone yakking just isn’t that important.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:)