COVER: The main building of the Coronal Institute, a private school that opened in San Marcos in 1868, in an undated postcard. CREDIT: SAN MARCOS HAYS COUNTY COLLECTION via SAN MARCOS PUBLIC LIBRARY.
by BRAD ROLLINS
San Marcos CISD trustees today will consider offers to buy the Lamar Annex property, a 5.2-acre tract situated about ⅓ mile from the courthouse square and ½ mile from the heart of Texas State University’s campus.
Occupying the entirety of an over-sized city block at Old Ranch Road 12 and Hutchison Street, the Lamar Annex sits on property where the Coronal Institute, a Methodist private school, was built in 1868. The property was sold to the public school district in 1925 and a new high school was built there in 1951.
In the run-up to last May’s school bond election, Superintendent Mark Eads pitched the prospect of selling the annex tract to trustees, saying proceeds could be used to supplement $76.9 million in new debt authorized by voters to pay for new and renovated campuses and other facilities. On June 25, the school district began soliciting sealed bids for the property.