Bobcats announce 23 football signings
The Texas State coaching staff took experience Wednesday, when it announced its 23 football recruits for 2013.
The new class includes 10 players with college experience, nine of them at community colleges. The Bobcats also took 12 high school players from Texas and one from California.
Texas State, which has traditionally recruited almost exclusively in Texas, ranged heavily into California after its year in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), taking six high school players and one junior college player from the Golden State. The Bobcats also took one junior college player from Georgia and another junior college player from North Carolina.
On the offensive side, the Bobcats recruited four tight ends, two wide receivers, two running backs, two offensive linemen and one quarterback. On the defensive side, Texas State signed five linemen and five backs.
The nearest Texas State recruits are Will Trevillion, a 6-foot-1, 280-pound defensive tackle from Hays High School, and Jackson Hoskins, a 6-5, 300-pound offensive lineman from Dripping Springs.
“This is the best class that we have been able to sign here,” said head coach Dennis Franchione. “This is the first year we have been a true FBS presence and the first year we have been able to recruit to our stadium. We have had drawings and steel down (on the north side of the stadium), but this is the first year we have the stadium in place. That makes a difference when you are talking to recruits.”
Four of the new players are attending Texas State and can participate in offseason workouts and spring practice. They include Kingley Ike, Brandon Jones, Kris Petersen and Demetrius Woodard.
Franchione attempted to upgrade the overall talent level and athleticism on Texas State’s roster to help with the transition to the Sun Belt Conference.
“We feel this class has the talent to make an impact quickly and have an impact over the duration of their careers here,” Franchione said. “We needed FBS talent across the board and we were able to get that with this class.”
Texas State kicks off the 2013 season in the Sun Belt Conference at Southern Mississippi on Aug. 31. The Bobcats play their first home game against Prairie View A&M on Sept. 7. Texas State also will play at home against Wyoming on Sept. 28 and has non-conference road games at Texas Tech on Sept. 21 and Idaho on Nov. 2.
The Bobcats join the Sun Belt Conference in 2013 with home games versus Georgia State, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama and Western Kentucky and road contests at Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Troy.
2013 Texas State Football Recruits
- Lucas Askew, TE, 6-6, 210, Big Sandy, Texas (Harmony HS)
- Jeff Banks, DE, 6-5, 205, Killeen, Texas (Killeen HS)
- Kareé Berry, DE, 6-3, 220, Spring Branch, Texas (Smithson Valley HS)
- C.J. Best, RB, 5-10, 195, Smyrna, Ga. (North Cobb HS/Diablo Valley CC)
- Ryan Carden, TE, 6-4, San Diego, Calif. (Scripps Ranch/Mt. San Antonio)
- Donta Clanton, DB, 5-10, 195, Woodland Hills, Calif. (LA Pierce CC)
- Marcus Dallas Jr., DE, 6-4, 245, Reedley, Calif. (Reedley CC)
- Trey Garrett, S, 6-0, 200, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Golden West CC)
- Brice Gunter, WR, 6-3, 185, Stephenville, Texas (Stephenville HS)
- Jackson Hoskins, OL, 6-5, 300, Dripping Springs, Texas (Dripping Springs HS)
- Kingsley Ike, DE, 6-3, 225, Pflugerville, Texas (Hendrickson HS/Purdue)
- Jamel James, RB, 5-11, 220, Katy, Texas (Cinco Ranch HS)
- Brandon Jones, S, 6-2, 210, Santa Rosa, Calif. (Santa Rosa JC)
- Tyler Jones, QB, 6-2, 190, Stephenville, Texas (Stephenville HS)
- Brandon McDowell, DB, 5-10, 175, DeSoto, Texas (DeSoto HS)
- Demun Mercer, WR, 6-2, 185, La Marque, Texas (La Marque HS)
- Kris Petersen, TE, 6-4, 235, Newark, Calif. (Memorial HS/Chabot College)
- Dila Rosemont, DB, 5-10, 170, Cypress, Texas (Cypress Springs HS)
- Brandon Arabia, OL, 6-4, 300, Bakersfield, Calif. (Bakersfield)
- Will Trevillion, DT, 6-1, 280, Buda, Texas (Hays HS)
- Lawrence White, TE, 6-7, 255, Wake Forest, N.C. (Ridgewater CC)
- Gerome Williams, S, 5-10, 185, Conroe, Texas (Oak Ridge HS)
- Demetrius Woodard, DB, 6-2, 200, Houston, Texas (Aldine MacArthur HS/Blinn CC)