The next community open house for residents to express their views on key City of San Marcos services will be held Monday, Jan. 30 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Dunbar Center, 801 Martin Luther King Drive.
Residents of the Dunbar Historic District, Heritage Neighborhood, Westover, Downtown and Texas State University are especially invited to participate. The session is one of eight come and go community open houses inviting public input on city services.
A Thursday, Feb. 2 open house is scheduled from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins, for residents of Willow Creek.
The city has already held level of service open houses on at Cuauhtémoc Hall, Goodnight Middle School, and at the State of the City event at the Embassy Suites/City Conference Center, the latter of which drew a particularly large crowd.
Residents may voice their opinions on service levels in the areas of parks and recreation, police and fire protection, library, streets and roads, and future water supply.
Each department will illustrate the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service for their area and outline the costs associated with each level.
At the conclusion of each session, attendees may fill out paper or computer surveys that will show the impact of their choices on their property tax bills. Corresponding property tax increases or decreases will be shown based on the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service chosen.
The community meetings are a prelude to the fiscal year 2012-13 budgeting process. The sessions will allow residents to see the City’s current service levels and to communicate what their desires are for these six key areas. Information received from residents will be used in planning the City’s budget and establishing long term programming goals.
Refreshments will be served at each community meeting, and the city encourages residents to attend one of the eight sessions to participate in making dreams a reality in San Marcos. The format is “come and go,” so residents can spend a few minutes or a few hours at the sessions. Spanish translators will be available at each session.
Schedule of Meetings:
• Jan. 30: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dunbar Center, 801 MLK Drive Sectors 1 & 8: Dunbar, Heritage, Westover, Downtown, Texas State University.
• Feb. 2: 5:30-7:30 p.m. San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E Hopkins Street. Sector 9: Willow Creek.
• Feb. 6: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church, 130 W Holland St. Sector 2: Castle Forest, Franklin Square, Oak Heights, Southwest Hills.
• Feb. 9: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Travis Elementary School Cafeteria, 1437 Post Rd. Sector 7: Blanco Vista, Millview, Uhland Rd., Post Rd, Thorpe Lane.
• Feb. 13: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church 130 W Holland St. Sector 3: Alamo, Highland, Holland Hills, Hughson Hts., Sierra Circle, Tanglewood, N. LBJ. N. Craddock.