The city is inviting pubic feedback about its services on Tuesday and the mayor and city council members will offer presentations about the state of the city on Thursday.
Tuesday’s meeting at Goodnight Middle School especially invites residents of Sunset Acres, El Camino Real, Hills of Hays, Wallace Addition, Blanco Gardens, Blanco River Village, and the East Aquarena Springs Drive area to participate. The event, a “come and go” open house, will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The State of the City will be at the Embassy Suites/city conference center, where there will be another level of service open house starting at 5:30 p.m. All residents of San Marcos are invited. Following the open house, Mayor Daniel Guerrero and the city council will report to residents about the state of the city, with brief presentations by each member.
The city held its first level of service open house on Jan. 19 at Cuauhtémoc Hall. City staff are asking residents to appraise service levels in the areas of parks and recreation, police and fire protection, library, streets and roads, and future water supply.
Each department illustrates the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service for their area and outlines the costs associated with each level.
Residents will be able to fill out a brief paper or computer survey to express their opinions and see the tax impact of their choices. Corresponding property tax increases or decreases will be shown based on the “Corolla,” “Camry” or “Lexus” level of service chosen.
The community meetings were planned to occur in advance of the fiscal year 2012-13 budgeting process. The sessions allow residents to see the city’s current service level and to communicate what their dreams are for these six key areas. Information received from residents will be used in planning the city’s budget and establishing long-term programming goals.
Refreshments will be served at each of the next seven sessions. Because the format will be “come and go,” residents can spend a few minutes or a few hours at the sessions. Spanish translators will be available at each session.
Schedule of Meetings:
• Jan. 24: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Goodnight Middle School Cafeteria, 1301 Hwy 123. Sectors 5 & 6: Sunset Acres, El Camino Real, Hills of Hays, Wallace Addition, Blanco Gardens, Blanco River Village, E. Aquarena Springs Dr.
• Jan. 26 State of the City: 5:30-7 p.m. Embassy Suites/city Conference Center (Community-wide event)
• Jan. 30: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dunbar Center, 801 MLK Drive Sectors 1 & 8: Dunbar, Heritage, Westover, Downtown, Texas State University.
• Feb. 2: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Activity Center, 501 E Hopkins Street. Sector 9: Willow Creek.
• Feb. 6: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church, 130 W Holland St. Sector 2: Castle Forest, Franklin Square, Oak Heights, Southwest Hills.
• Feb. 9: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Travis Elementary Cafeteria, 1437 Post Rd. Sector 7: Blanco Vista, Millview, Uhland Rd., Post Rd, Thorpe Lane.
• Feb. 13: 6:30-8:30 p.m. First Lutheran Church 130 W Holland St. Sector 3: Alamo, Highland, Holland Hills, Hughson Hts., Sierra Circle, Tanglewood, N. LBJ. N. Craddock.
For more information, visit http://www.sanmarcostx.gov/dreammaker or call (512) 393-8000.