The annual Hays County Brown Santa program is now accepting donations from residents and local businesses to assist families in need. Items sought include canned goods, money, and new toys for children no older than 16.
Brown Santa representatives ask that those toys already gift-wrapped include tags identifying the toy, age group, and recipient gender. Representatives will retrieve donations from residences or businesses upon request. Monetary contributions in the form of a check or money order should be made payable to “Brown Santa” and can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1475
San Marcos, TX 78667
The deadline for accepting unwrapped toys is Dec. 9. The deadline for wrapped toys is Dec. 15.
Brown Santa volunteers include Hays County Sheriff’s Office employees and other community members. The program provided more than 850 Hays County families with food and/or toys last year.
All toys will be wrapped on Dec. 10 from 9 a.m. to noon. Deputies and helpers will deliver toys and food on Saturday, Dec. 17, from 7 a.m. until approximately noon. Any family requesting assistance from Brown Santa can apply in the lobby of the Sheriff’s Office or at a location below. The deadline for applications is Dec. 8 at 5 p.m.
Those who want to assist Brown Santa or donate money may contact Lieutenant Dennis Gutierrez at (512) 393-7877.
“Brown Santa would like to wish the citizens of Hays County a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,” Gutierrez said.
• Hays County Sheriff’s Office – 1307 Uhland Road
• Southside Community Center – 518 South Guadalupe Street
• Pct. 2 Justice of the Peace – 111 North Front Street
• Fox Pizza – 147 Elmhurst Drive
• Pct. 5 Justice of the Peace – 500 Jack C. Hays Trail
• Buda City Hall – 121 Main Street
• Pct. 3 Justice of the Peace – 14306 Ranch Road 12
• Pct. 4 Justice of the Peace – 195 Roger Hanks Parkway