The San Marcos Education Foundation and the San Marcos High School Alumni Association will honor seven graduates in 2011 Homecoming pre-game activities on Friday, Oct. 21 at Bobcat Stadium. Honorees will be inducted into the San Marcos High School Distinguished Alumnus Hall of Fame at a ceremony and reception ceremony at Bobcat Stadium.
The public is invited to attend this free event. The reception will be from 5-7 p.m. in the Sac-N-Pac room in end zone complex at the stadium.
Six 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Awards and one Outstanding Young Alumnus Award will be presented to the following recipients:
• Patty Sullivan, (1944 SMHS graduate): Pioneer female bank executive in San Marcos, philanthropist and volunteer in community and university foundations, as well as political and women’s issues.
• Tony Walker, (1977): Eighth round draft pick by Cincinnati Reds, played for their organization for seven years, youth fitness and sports advocate, community volunteer.
• Rene Ruiz, (1978): Community activist, political leader, businessman, and champion of public education.
• Andrea Murdock McDaniel (1982): First female chief of operations, Southwestern Division, United States Army Corps of Engineers.
• Helen Lowman (1984): Deputy Director, United States Peace Corps – Europe, Asia and the Mediterranean.
• Steven Farr (1989): Chief Knowledge Officer, Teach For America, author of Teaching As Leadership.
In addition to the Distinguished Alumnus Awards recognizing lifetime achievement, a new award for outstanding merit or achievement (which targets young alumni under the age of 35) has been created and will be presented for the first time on Friday night.
The 2011 Outstanding Young Alumnus Award will be presented to Taryn Guerrero Davis, (2003) who founded the nationally-recognized American Widow Project, after her husband, Michael Davis (also a 2003 SMHS graduate) was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. Taryn has also been named one of the 10 finalists in the 2011 CNN Top Ten Heroes Awards.
Following the reception, the honorees will be recognized on the football field during the homecoming football game between the San Marcos Rattlers and class rivals, the Seguin Matadors. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m.
For more information regarding the Distinguished Alumnus Reception, please contact Diana Hendricks at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 618-3373Email | Print