San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas

January 19th, 2011
Antioch historical marker set for unveiling ceremony

011811antiochThe new Antioch historical marker will have an unveiling ceremony Saturday. (Photo by Jim Cullen)

STAFF REPORT

The City of Buda will officially unveil the new Antioch Historical Marker Saturday at 10 a.m. on the site just off Old Black Colony Road west of Cole Springs Road.

Following the unveiling ceremony will be a reception at Buda City Hall, 121 Main Street. The events, sponsored by the City of Buda and the Hays County Historical Commission, are free and open to the public.

The event will feature some current and former Antioch residents, including artist Joan Limuel, who attended Antioch School in 1939. Her paintings and drawings will be on display. Limuel’s granddaughters Samantha and Samonica will sing during the ceremony.

LeeDale Bunton also will be featured showcasing historical photographs and documents of the Antioch community. Bunton’s grandparents donated land for the first Antioch School.

The marker was granted under the Texas Historical Commission’s “Undertold Marker Program.” The Hays County Historical Commission and Buda resident Mary Giberson were instrumental in getting the marker placed.

The landscaped walkway and seating area at the marker was designed and prepared by local Boy Scout Grant Garcia as an Eagle Scout project. Funding for the walkway came from the Old Town Buda Association and the City of Buda.

Antioch Colony originated when businessman Joseph F. Rowley started selling parcels of his 490 acres for the relatively low price of $5 per acre to formerly enslaved African Americans.

Community residents Elias and Clarisa Bunton donated property in 1874 for a school and church. The school continued to serve residents until 1939, when it was relocated to Black Colony Road.

Antioch also had a Baptist Church, a Methodist church, an active Masonic lodge and an Order of the Eastern Star chapter.

While Antioch thrived for many years as a farming community, but by 1950s the economy had changed and many residents moved away looking for better employment. Antioch was virtually abandoned. In the 1970s, some former residents began returning to the community, purchasing land their ancestors had owned previously.

Email Email | Print Print

--

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:)