Elected officials and members of the Sons of the Republic of Texas, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the Hays County Historical Commission were joined by area National Honor Society students and interested citizens Nov. 3 to dedicate a marker for a tree planted on the courthouse grounds to honor Stephen F. Austin.
The tree was planted on Nov. 3, 1998, on the 205th anniversary of Austin’s birth; Nov. 3 was the 217th anniversary of his birth.
The tree was produced from a large oak tree that was growing on a plantation in West Columbia when Stephen F. Austin, often called “the Father of Texas,” died there in 1836. Houston businessman Bill F. Price donated trees grown from the original oak to courthouses throughout Texas in conjunction with the Sons of the Republic of Texas and Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
During the ceremony, members of the Prince Solms-Braunfels Chapter of the Sons of the Republic of Texas and Moon-McGehee Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas explained the historical importance of Stephen F. Austin to Texas and encouraged attendees to remember Texas’ heroes and history. The groups provided the marker for the tree, which is close to the intersection of Hopkins and Guadalupe Streets.Email | Print