Street and utility work expected to affect local traffic this week:
- EAST MCCARTY LANE, both lanes closed in each direction from IH 35 frontage road to Old Bastrop Highway on July 19 – August 6 from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. for gas line construction. Motorists are advised to use Clovis R. Barker Road or Centerpoint Road to avoid the area. Construction of additional lanes began in April with scheduled completion for October/November. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- INTERSTATE 35, southbound middle and outside lanes will be closed from the Blanco River to Aquarena Springs Drive on July 18, from 6:30 a.m – 8:30 a.m. Afterwards, the northbound outside lane will be closed from Wonder World Drive to Hwy 123 from 9 a.m. – 12 noon for sign installation. TXDOT, 353-1061.
- UHLAND ROAD, from Post Road to IH 35 frontage road will be milled and resurfaced starting July 19 with scheduled completion date of August 9, weather permitting. Expect traffic delays with periodic lane closures, watch for heavy equipment and traffic control flaggers. Public Services, 393-8036.
- EAST HOPKINS (RM 12) AND CHEATHAM STREET, traffic signal will be operating July 20. The traffic signal is near a railroad crossing and required a pre-emption device installed to notify the traffic signal of an approaching train and changes the signal light from green to red. Message boards will be placed to notify motorists. TxDOT, 353-1061.
- WONDER WORLD DRIVE AT HUNTER ROAD, is open to traffic and final road preparation is underway. Heavy traffic is expected on Saturday, July 24 due to Run2Purgatory 5K Fun Run at 7 a.m. and Ribbon Cutting Event at 10 a.m.. The Wonder World Drive Extension is scheduled to open at 6 p.m. on July 24. Public Services, 393-8036.
- RANCH ROAD 12, 2400 block, final construction and road preparation continues with roadway scheduled to open by 12:01 a.m. on Monday, July 26. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- CRADDOCK AVENUE, construction on the Craddock Avenue extension from Bishop to Wonder World Drive continues through July. The intersection of Bishop and Craddock is open but future closure is anticipated for final overlay, milling and striping. Please watch for heavy construction equipment at Wonder World Drive, Bishop Street and the Park Road at the end of Franklin. Access to Purgatory Park will be limited at the Craddock intersection due to asphalt overlay. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- PURGATORY PARK ACCESS OFF OF FRANKLIN STREET will be closed as of Sunday, July 25 due to the Wonder World Drive Extension opening. Park access should be available following the completion of the Craddock Avenue Extension. Persons interested in accessing the park will need to approach from Ranch Road 12 or Hunter Road down Wonder World Drive and turn right or left (depending on approach direction) at the Craddock intersection. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- COMANCHE, closed to through traffic in segments from West Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive to West Hopkins Street for construction of a new water line. Roadway between W. MLK Drive and W. San Antonio Street should be open to traffic with work beginning between W. San Antonio Street and W. Hopkins Street. Traffic will be detoured to Fredericksburg Street, S. Guadalupe Street, W. Hutchinson Street, W. Hopkins Street, W. San Antonio Street, and W. MLK Drive to avoid the area. Construction will continue through August. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- COMANCHE, between Student Center Drive and Thomas has been closed for construction of underground utilities extension. A portion of Student Center Dr. will be closed between Comanche and Gaillardia. A temporary access road from Comanche thru Parking Lot #201 will provide 2-way traffic flow between Student Center Drive and Comanche. Construction will continue through August 12, 2010. Please use caution thorough the construction area. Texas State University, 245-6198.
- CHEATHAM STREET, will be open to through traffic. Construction will continue on Haynes Drive from Riverside Drive to Cheatham Street and on Rio Vista and McKinnon both from Haynes Drive to Cheatham Street to install storm sewer, water and wastewater services. Motorists need to be aware of various street closures until further notice. Rio Vista Terrace Neighborhood Improvements. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- INTERSTATE 35, reduced to one southbound lane at various locations between Yarrington Road and River Ridge Parkway due to milling and hot mix overlay from 6 a.m. until 12 p.m., July 26 -30, weather permitting. TxDOT, 353-1061
- DOWTOWN ADA IMPROVEMENTS, construction will take place on many of the handicap ramps throughout the downtown area. Lanes will be closed but the streets will remain open. Scheduled completion is end of summer. Capital Improvements, 393-8130.
- WEATHERFORD STREET, one lane will be closed due to lane widening, curb and gutter improvements until the end of July. Public Services, 393-8036.
- SAN ANTONIO STREET, 100 block, half a block closed from alley to N. LBJ every Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. for the Farmer’s Market on the Square. Main Street Program, 393-8430.
— FROM THE CITY OF SAN MARCOS