San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
Email Email | Print Print --

December 18th, 2009
Electrical fire forces evacuation at Herbert’s

A San Marcos fireman rolls up a water hose Friday afternoon after a small fire forced an evacuation of Herbert's Taco Hut. PHOTO by BRAD ROLLINS.


A small fire forced an evacuation of lunchtime crowds at the popular Herbert’s Taco Hut on Friday.

The popular restaurant on Riverside Drive was about 25 percent occupied when workers in the kitchen reported smoke pouring out of an electrical outlet, Fire Marshal Ken Bell said.

The restaurant and adjoining grocery store were evacuated as firefighters responded to the scene.

“Alot of people got a free meal,” said owner Herbert Rizk Jr.

Bell said the building sustained moderate smoke damage with some non-structural fire damage to walls. He said Friday evening that owners were already making progress toward reopening.

“We do not think the business is going to be down long,” Bell said.

Herbert’s Grocery opened in 1972 and the restaurant next door opened four years later, Rizk said.

Email Email | Print Print


2 thoughts on “Electrical fire forces evacuation at Herbert’s

  1. Not Herberts! I can name five Tex Mex places I’ll trade you for one Herberts. Glad to read its not going to be closed for long.

  2. Herberts will rise again. Best of luck to you Mr. Rizk. I’m looking forward to Herbert’s cheese enchiladas in 2010.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *