San Marcos CISD’s Teachers of the Year are (pictured left to right, front to back) Melba Smith, Crystal Abete, Mary Alice “Molly” Bending, Melody Carlisle, Carolyn Jennings, Kelly Bost, Robert Dueñez, Amber Alexander, Lacye Odam and Nancy Jaster.
Selected each year by their peers, San Marcos Consolidated Independent School Districts’ Teachers of the Year will be honored this week with a banquet hosted by Time Warner Cable and the San Marcos Education Foundation.
“We think that all of our teachers are deserving of this recognition, for they are all talented, hard-working, and have the students’ best interests at heart. However, these top ten educators serve as their representatives in the community and exemplify the best-of-the-best. We are proud of these Teachers of the Year and of the other teachers back at the campus level who choose them as their ambassadors,” Superintendent Patty Shafer said.
Two of them will be selected by a committee to advance to regional competition as part of the Texas Education Agency’s Texas Teacher of the Year program. This year’s honorees are:
- Carolyn Jennings of Bonham Pre-K School
- Amber Alexander of Bowie Elementary
- Melba Smith of Crockett Elementary
- Kelly Bost of De Zavala Elementary
- Crystal Abete of Travis Elementary
- Melody Carlisle of Hernandez Intermediate School
- Nancy Jaster of Goodnight Junior High
- Mary Alice Bending of Miller Junior High
- Lacye Odam of San Marcos High School
- Robert Dueñez of the San Marcos Family Learning Center
— FROM SAN MARCOS CISD/IRIS CAMPBELL