PHOTOS by RYAN PATRICK PERKINS
Firefighters’ efforts to extinguish the fire at the Lion’s Club tube rental in City Park was made more difficult by lack of fire hydrants nearby.
A fire destroyed the Lion’s Club tube rental in the Recreation Hall at City Park about 5:30 a.m. today.
The fire caused significant damage to the roof of the cinder block building and destroyed the contents of the Lion’s Club tube rental, which operates out of the west side of the building.
Investigators expect to be on the scene through tomorrow, Fire Marshal Ken Bell told the Mercury. “We’re still plugging away at it and it’s going to take a while,” he said.
Fire fighting efforts were hampered by the lack of water supply and fire hydrants at the park. South Hays County Fire Department was called for mutual aid to provide water tender trucks.
The building was constructed before fire codes would have required fire hydrants nearby, Bell said. No one was immediately sure when it was built but the recreation hall is at least four decades old and likely considerably older, city spokesperson Melissa Millecam said.
The Lion’s Club tube rental concession area, restrooms and kitchen areas were destroyed. The club leases space in the city-owned building which also includes an attached recreation hall that was not badly damaged.
One firefighter was injured when he was struck by a metal fragment while cutting through a metal door during the salvage and overhaul operation after the fire.
No damage estimate is available yet, Bell said.