The City of San Marcos, along with its Cemetery Commission, will dedicate a new gate and front entrance at the San Marcos City Cemetery on April 18, at 10 a.m.
The 135-year-old cemetery’s entrance project has been underway since the Cemetery Commission recommended replacing the aging gateway in 2003. The 45-acre cemetery started in 1874, and has several historic features, including a 19th century open air chapel.
The entrance gate and front were designed by Jose Gil Engineering, and was built in different phases by Stokes Construction, Meyers Construction and Lawhead General Contractors. The Cemetery Commission plans to continue recommending improvements.
The public is invited to join San Marcos Mayor Susan Narvaiz, the City Council and Cemetery Commission members for the dedication, located at 1001 Ranch Road 12. The current members of the Cemetery Commission are Chairman Robert Cotner, Vice Chair Ronnie Mendez, Polly Wright, Beverly Owen, Buck Scheib, Brenda Butler, and Lee Mitchell.