The San Marcos city council and the cemetery commission will dedicate the new gate and front entrance of the historic San Marcos City Cemetery at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 18.
The public is invited to join Mayor Susan Narvaiz, the city council and cemetery commission at the City Cemetery, 1001 Ranch Road 12.
The cemetery entrance project has been completed in four phases since 2003 after the Cemetery Commission recommended a project to replace the aging gateway. Serving on the 2003 commission were chair Robert Cotner; vice chair Jo Wiegand; the late Ken Kohut, Millie Bechtol, Gwen Smith, Jo Ann Hearn, and Ollie Giles.
The entrance gate and fence were designed by Jose Gil Engineering and built in different phases by Stokes Construction, Myers Construction and Lawhead General Contractors.
The cemetery commission will continue to recommend improvements to the 135 year old cemetery. The seven-member board works with city staff to improve the 45-acre cemetery, which was started in 1874. The cemetery has several historic landmarks within its boundaries, including the 19th Century open air chapel.
Current commission members are chair Robert Cotner; vice chair Ronnie Mendez; Polly Wright, Beverly Owen, Buck Scheib, Brenda Butler, and Lee Mitchell.
— FROM THE CITY OF SAN MARCOS/MELISSA MILLECAMEmail | Print