San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
Email Email | Print Print --

January 22nd, 2009
Bearkats edge Texas State 79-75


In a game that featured five lead changes and three ties, Ashton Mitchell made two free throws with four seconds remaining to clinch a 79-75 victory for Sam Houston State over the Texas State men’s basketball team Wednesday night in Strahan Coliseum.

The Bearkats held a 74-68 lead with 43 seconds before Texas State’s Brent Benson nailed a three-point basket to pull the Bobcats within three points. After Sam Houston’s Lance Pevehouse made one of his two free throws, Benson was fouled by Preston Brown and made two more free throws to pull Texas State to within 75-73 with 27 seconds left.

After Dre Murray made two more free throws for Sam Houston State, DeLuis Ramirez fouled Benson behind the three-point line. Benson made two of his three free throws to pulled Texas State to within 75-73 with six seconds left to play.

The Bobcats immediately fouled Mitchell, but he made both of his free throw attempts to give the Bearkats the victory.

Texas State looked to be in control of the game when senior forward Brandon Bush nailed a three-pointer from the top of the key, while Dylan Moseley and Ty Gough each made a lay-up to give the Bobcats an early 7-2 lead.

But Texas State missed their next seven shots and turned the ball over twice as Sam Houston came back to take a 12-7 lead on Josten Crow’s lay-up with 12:59 left in the opening period.

The two teams fought back and forth during the next four minutes before Pevehouse scored on a rare four-point play when he nailed a three-pointer from the right key and was fouled by Benson. He made the free throw to give the Bearkats a 19-17 lead with 8:36 remaining in the opening period.

Sam Houston extended its lead to 32-22 with 4:19 remaining on a three-point basket by Corey Allmond. Texas State rallied to close to within five at halftime when Bush made a jumper in the lane and Jonathan Sloan hit both of his free throws to pull Texas State to make the halftime score 37-32.

The Bobcats continued their rally early in the second half when Bush made a jumper on the left side of the lane and a three-point shot to pull Texas State to within three 40-37. John Rybak nailed a three-pointer from the right wing on Texas State’s next possession, but Allmond hit a three-pointer of his own from the right side to give the Bearkats a 43-30 lead with 16:27 remaining in the game.

Texas State regained the lead one last time when Ryan White hit John Bowman for a lay-up and made a pair of free throws to give Texas State a 46=43 lead.

Sam Houston State answered quickly as Ramirez made a lay-up and after Texas State’s Ty Gough was called for an offensive foul , Ramirez hit Barkley Falkner for a dunk shot to give the Bearkats a 47-46 lead.

Sam Houston State never trailed again as the Bearkats would hold a 72-65 lead with 3:03 left to play after Allmond nailed a three-point shot.

The Bobcats continued to fight back, but never could get closer than three points until the final 27 seconds.

Allmond finished with 17 points, while Falkner scored 16. Preston Brown and Mitchell each netted 11 points, and Pevehouse finished with 10 for the Bearkats who evened their record to 8-8 and improved to 2-1 in Southland Conference play.

Bush led Texas State with 16 points, but fouled out of the game with 4:06 left to play. Brent Benson scored 13 points, but shot just 2-9 from the field, including 1-7 behind the three-point arc. Cameron Johnson also added the first double-double of his career with 11 points and 10 rebounds off the bench for Texas State, which suffered its third straight loss to fall to 8-9 overall and 1-3 in SLC play.

Email Email | Print Print


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *