KYLE, TX -Camino Real Elementary School in the Hays CISD has a foyer like none other. On the stained-concrete floor lies an outline of the state of Texas and El Camino Real, a famous trail blazed more than 300 years ago by travelers on foot, horseback and wagon going from Mexico to Louisiana through Texas. The floor design, created by Claycomb Associates, Architects, was funded by the Burdine-Johnson Foundation. The Hays CISC Board of Trustees recognized Kate and Bill Johnson, who represent the foundation, during their meeting September 15. Hays County Historical Commission members Mary Ann Mattis and Jim Cullen were also recognized for their assistance in completing the project. Principal Marivel Sedillo was on hand for the recognition and invited the public to attend the formal dedication of Camino Real Elementary School on Saturday, October 4 at 9 a.m.
El Camino Real, also referred to as Old San Antonio Road, Spanish Royal Road or King’s Highway roughly follows an old American Indian set of trails. The Spanish also used these trails in the late 1600’s and early 1700’s as they traveled from Mexico City to Spanish outposts north and named them El Camino Real. These routes passed through Eagle Pass, San Antonio and San Marcos leading to Nacogdoches, Texas, and Natchitoches, Louisiana, for transporting supplies to priests, soldiers and colonists along the way.
The trail was paved as county roads and highways in recent years as people have continued to use them, now driving automobiles. It meanders through Hays County due east of Interstate 35 and goes by several names: Old Bastrop Highway, Kings Highway, El Camino Real, blending at one point with Highway 21. Granite markers along the historic El Camino Real have recently been restored and replaced by Daughters of the Republic of Texas, marking the old Texas trail for children to come.
By SHELLEY HENRY
Publicity Committee Chair – Hays County Historical Commission
Photo left to right: Camino Real Principal Marivel Sedillo along with Kate Johnson and Bill Johnson of the Burdine-Johnson Foundation.Email | Print