- San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas - http://smmercury.com -

Bobcat Men's tournament chances slipping away with OT loss

Sports Reporter

SAN MARCOS – The I-35 Maroon vs. Orange rivalry series game Saturday at Strahan Coliseum was more than worth the price of admission. The Texas State (12-14, 5-8) men’s basketball team eventually fell to the University of Texas – San Antonio (12-13, 6-6) in a thrilling overtime shootout, 103-96. It was a heartbreaking loss for the Bobcats who needed the win to stay in contention for a spot in the upcoming conference tournament. Texas State still has a chance though with only one game separating five teams for the 5-8 seeds. UT Arlington improved to (6-7) with a win over A&M-Corpus Christi (5-7), while Southeastern Louisiana (6-6) defeated Nicholls State and McNeese State (5-7) got a victory over Central Arkansas on Saturday. There are only three games remaining on the Texas State schedule and it will not be an easy task to make the tournament. There first game will be at home against West leading Stephen F. Austin (10-2). They then go on the road to play Sam Houston State (7-5) who they defeated earlier in the year. The regular season ends with a home game against UT Arlington (6-7).

The Bobcats shot 56.5% but still trailed the Roadrunners 41-40 at halftime. Brent Holders‘ 3-pointer at the 13:30 mark gave Texas State a 16-14 lead early on. UTSA went on a 15-4 run from there to take 29-20 lead with 8:49 remaining. The `Cats fought back and tied the game for the seventh time at 38-38 on a Jonathan Sloan free throw. The half ended with UTSA leading 41-40. Texas State used a balanced scoring attack as five different players scored at least 5 points in the half. Ty Gough led the team in rebounding with 5 boards. Corey Jefferson finished the half with 3 assist.

The Bobcats started off hot in the 2nd half and took a 57-51 lead after Ryan White hit his 2nd free throw with 12:59 left in the game. The Roadrunners then responded with a 12-0 run to take the lead 63-57 with 10:13 remaining. Texas State tied the game once more at 63 all but UTSA never gave up the lead and the Roadrunners held a 8 point lead (79-71) with only 44 seconds to go in the game. Brent Benson hit a 3-pointer to make the score 79-74 after that and then quickly fouled. UTSA made only one of their two foul shots and Brandon Bush responded by making both of his to bring the score to 80-76 with 23 seconds left. Once again UTSA only made one of their two free throws after the foul and this time Dylan Moseley drained a 3-pointer to make it a 2 point game (81-79) with 19 seconds remaining. Texas State quickly fouled again and the Roadrunners missed both of their free throws. Moseley missed a 3-pointer with 8 seconds left but UTSA turned the ball over an then fouled Bush to put him on the line to shoot two with 2 seconds left. Bush made both of them to tie the game at 81 and send the game into overtime. Texas State outscored UTSA in the 2nd half 41-40. The `Cats enjoyed a 30-11 advantage in bench points and made 13 of 15 free throws for the half. Holder (12 pts) and Benson (11) led the team in scoring for the half. Benson also led the team in rebounding for the half with 6 boards. Jefferson added 4 assist to his total in the 2nd half.

UTSA jumped out to a 5 point lead just two minutes into overtime with an 88-83 lead. The Bobcats quickly responded with a 7-1 run and took the lead 90-89 on a Brandon Bush dunk. Bush was called for a technical foul after hanging on the rim though and UTSA made the two free throws for that and two more right after that on a foul by Holder to take a 93-90 lead with 1:32 left in the first overtime. The Bobcats narrowed the gap back to 1 point twice after that with the last time being on a Gough basket to make the score 95-94 with 56 seconds remaining. UTSA expanded their lead to 5 before Gordon Taylor hit a jumper to bring the score to 99-96 with 18 seconds left. The Bobcats quickly fouled after that and the Roadrunners made both of their fouls shots. Taylor missed a 3-pointer with 4 seconds left and after another quick foul UTSA made two more free throws to bring us to the 103-96 final. The Roadrunners went 6 for 6 from the line in the final 28 seconds to secure the victory.

The Bobcats made 29 of 57 (50.9%) from the field, including 10 3-pointers and they also made 28 of 34 (82.4%) from the charity stripe. Bush and Holder led the team with 18 points apiece. Bush was 10 for 10 from the free throw line while holder made four 3-pointers. Benson finished with 16 points while Ryan White added 12. Gough had a game high 12 rebounds. Jefferson finished with 7 assist to lead the team.

Texas State will host West division leader Stephen F. Austin Wednesday at Strahan Coliseum. Tip is set for 7 p.m.


Texas State
15 96


Scoring: Devin Gibson (27), Melvin Smith (19), Antoine Dade (14)
Rebounding: Antoine Dade (12), Keith Spencer (6),
Assist: Devin Gibson (4), Keith Spencer (2), Melvin Smith (2)
Blocks: E.B. Davis (1)
Steals: Devin Gibson (5), Keith Spencer (4)

Scoring: Brandon Bush (18), Brent Holder (18), Brent Benson (16), Ryan White (12), Ty Gough (7)
Rebounding: Ty Gough (12), Brent Holder (7), Brandon Bush (6), Brandon Thomas (4)
Assist: Corey Jefferson (7), Brandon Bush (2)
Blocks: Corey Jefferson (1)
Steals: Ty Gough (1), Brandon Bush (1), Brent Holder (1), Jonathan Sloan (1), Ryan White (1)