↑Hernandez Intermediate students Elizabeth Hernandez, Margarita Guevara and Sindy Narvaez look at a science fair entry that models strata of the Edwards Aquifer and recharge zones. SUBMITTED PHOTOS by JAMAR KEATON.
From the San Marcos school district
Students at Hernandez Intermediate School set up their long-anticipated science fair in the school library on Jan. 17 and no one wanted to leave.
Animated groups gathered around the exhibits and research projects to admire and explore topics such as: “Dogs and Humans: Are They Really That Different” and a banana-ripening process called “Going Bananas.”
Crowd favorites included a diorama of the Edwards Aquifer in an aquarium that depicted the San Marcos area and Hill Country drainage areas and an exhibit called “Yeast Reacts” complete with balloons being inflated by the power of yeast.
The winners of the science fair, announced Jan. 25, include:
Earth Science (Individual)
• Jonis Nava, 1st
• Mendi Drissi, 2nd
• Brittany Brown, 3rd
Earth Science (Group)
• Taylor CoCo and Patrick Nierodzinski, 1st
• Cassidy Wallace and Ryan Rodriguez, 2nd
• Raven Goad and Emily Burt, 3rd
Physical Science (Individual)
• Zach Rodriguez, 1st
• Genave Martinez, 2nd
• Anik Banerjee, 3rd
Physical Science (Group)
• Erin Jaques and Sarah Swann, 1st
• Molly Perez and Nohemi Navarrette, 2nd
• Charlee Cervantez and Gabby Ruiz, 3rd
Life Science (Individual)
• Tracie Purnell, 1st
• Hunter McMain, 2nd
• Sierra Trammell, 3rd
Life Science (Group)
• Payton Bonner and Emmy Holmes, 1st
• Caitlin Cost and Zoe Schwartz, 2nd
• Sabine Hahn, Anna Galluzzi, Carlane Rios, and Angela Green, 3rd
Local businesses who underwrote the fair include Half Price Books, Hastings, Geodes, Egg Drop Toys, Cici’s Pizza, Chili’s, Applebee’s and Personal Pan Pizza.