San Marcos Mercury | Local News from San Marcos and Hays County, Texas
Email Email | Print Print --

January 22nd, 2008
UPDATE: Officials identify woman who died in fire as Texas State employee

From submitted reports

San Marcos fire investigators have identified the victim of a fatal apartment fire Saturday as 62-year old Judith Kirtley, an employee of the Texas State University registrar’s office.

According to Fire Marshal Ken Bell, the fire was accidental, caused by “smoking materials.”

A 15-year employee of Texas State, Kirtley worked in veterans’ affairs at the registrar’s office. She died after fire broke out shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday in her apartment at the Palm Square Apartments, 1360 Thorpe Lane, No. 3204.

The fire was quickly brought under control, with heavy damage done to Kirtley’s apartment. Several other apartment suffered minor damage.

Building No. 3 fronting on Thorpe Lane is one of eight in the complex and has 16 apartments. Residents who were displaced by the fire were assisted by the Red Cross and their own family members.

The body was taken to the Travis County Medical Examiner in Austin. The
autopsy report is not yet complete, Bell said.

The name of the victim had been withheld until official confirmation of her identity and notification of next of kin.

— FROM A CITY OF SAN MARCOS PRESS RELEASE

Email Email | Print Print

--

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:)