By AMANDA OSKEY
Reporter and Anchor
Construction of the new San Marcos High School over-ran the contractor’s guaranteed maximum price and contingencies by more than $200,000 and the school district is grudgingly eating half of it.
Board members said they were caught off guard by a request at their Dec. 17 meeting for a $195,000 payment to cover work that had already been completed. The contractor also said there was still another $30,000 in “finishing touches” to be made to the 347,037 square foot building, which opened in August with the start of the academic year.
The additional costs resulted from authorized additions to original plans for the campus, including a fume hoods and ventilation systems for laboratory rooms and upgrades to the marching band pad. Board members however said they had know idea that the company had already spent money set aside for contingencies.